What Is a Serving of Fruit and Vegetables?
It’s important to get a variety of at least 5 servings of vegetables, and 2 servings of fruit each day, but what exactly is a serving of fruit and vegetables?
A serving of vegetables is 75grams. As a rough guide, this might be:
- ½ cup cooked vegetables (these can be cooked from fresh or cooked from frozen)
- 1 medium potato
- 1 cup salad vegetables
- ½ cup cooked legumes (peas, beans, lentils)
And for fruits? A servings of fruit is 150grams. One serving of fruit could be:
- One medium piece of fruit (an apple or orange)
- Half a large piece of fruit (e.g half a banana)
- Two smaller pieces of fruit (two apricots)
- Shop for fruit and vegetables in season to save money and add colour, flavour and nutrition to meals.
For more information on what is in a serving, check out Go for 2 and 5: